Discussion Hall

Welcome Strikers! Don't forget to confirm your e-mail address after registration! To have the confirmation mail resent, check the popup at the bottom of your screen.

Odds of an English language option for MS JP?

Tek7Tek7 Posts: 12Member Up-and-coming Striker
Global MS is closing. Armchair analysts, myself included, have discussed and will continue to discuss the what, why, and how, but the dates are set and there's no reasonable hope of global MS surviving past August 1. It stings, but it's time to face facts.

Many players will jump to MS JP. Some already have. And others (again, myself included) would be willing to jump to the JP version, but the language barrier is enough to dissuade them.

So my question today is: What are the odds of XFlag adding an English language option to MS JP? There's no story in MS and the amount of text compared to, say, a traditional console or handheld JRPG is very small.

It's true that casual players wouldn't bother jumping through the hoops necessary to download and install the JP version on iOS or Android, but those players dedicated enough to go through the hassle might throw a few more dollars in XFlag's general direction. And while I admit I'm not familiar with the expense involved with localization, I can't help but think even a few paying English-speaking players across the globe would offset the cost of additional server loads and bandwidth and the cost of translating text. I can't speak for everyone, but a lack of English voice tracks would not dissuade me from playing.

If I could load up MS JP (which I already have installed on my iPad), change a language option from Japanese to English, and continue playing, I'd be thrilled. I think I could even convince my wife to create a MS JP account as well and keep playing with me. (Side note: MS is the only co-op mobile game we played together and we're more upset with losing a game we played together than losing MS specifically.)

I strongly suspect the odds are low, but my uninformed opinion is that the low cost of providing an English language option would provide a solid return on investment (and may help mitigate damage to XFlag's reputation in the global market, which may not be important now, but will likely prove crucial in the future).

Comments

• wwan003wwan003 Posts: 55Member Up-and-coming Striker
    I agree, I wish we have English translate option in JP version, otherwise it is hard to play JP without ask the host, what are you posting...At least this will be a long learning curve to adopt a new language.
  • cabbagecabbage Posts: 2,262Member Legendary Striker
    Ah, now this is an interesting idea! Of course XFlag couldn't condone supporting something like folks overseas creating shadow iTunes accounts but maybe if they framed it as an option for English-speakers living in Japan (or for Japanese folks wanting to learn English as they play) it could work. I doubt it would happen but it'd be cool.
    Max lucks... I want all the max lucks.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp3f5nlYq8wOaCRbvuXasYA
  • Mr.FMr.F Posts: 2,136Member Legendary Striker
    I was a part of some fan-translating groups back in the 8-bit hey-days; putting two languages on one game is no daunting task unless the game is expandable to accommodate that.
    "This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
  • SFGundamSFGundam Posts: 850Moderator Community Moderator
    edited May 3
    Short Answer: 0%

Long Answer:
    I had this discussion with other people the other day and this what I answered.

Like Cabbage said, XFLAG doesn't condone apks or fake JP iTunes accounts. So what is the point of localizing it when it "technically" doesn't reach that audience. There is no need of it within the JP community as far as I know so adding it will just confuse them.

Now how about localizing it and officially releasing it globally? My answer is because of Collaborations. XFLAG have to buy the rights to use assets from IPs in their game. It makes negotiating contracts very complicated since there will be multiple countries coming into play. Companies might not even want to collaborate with MS because they don't want their brand reaching out to parts of the world where they don't want or that it might have a negative impact. The companies can also ask for extra money and that can cost millions.

Those are the main reasons why the Global Version never got any collaborations. The higher ups in XFLAG deemed that they can't break-even for the cost of bring that collaboration over to Global. Or that the companies they are collaborating with don't want their brand in other countries.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel / Twitter / Wiki / Blog

Monster Strike the Movie
  • MaruSeiMaruSei Posts: 147Member Your Local Striker
    There are a few people here who have been playing JP for a while, maybe some people live in Japan (including myself) who would like to help, I don't mind translating some names and strike shots if you need them
  • FancypantsFancypants Posts: 337Member Elite Striker
    One thing that has helped me immensely is downloading the Google Translate app. It has the option of translating text from images. I started off taking screenshots and loading them into the app that way, which took a very long time. However now I installed the game on a 2nd device so now I just use the camera on my phone and translate live without having to take screenshots. It's an absolutely horrendous translation, and sometimes the app doesn't recognize more stylized fonts but it's definitely better than nothing.
  • Tek7Tek7 Posts: 12Member Up-and-coming Striker
    SFGundam said:

Short Answer: 0%

Long Answer:
    I had this discussion with other people the other day and this what I answered.

Like Cabbage said, XFLAG doesn't condone apks or fake JP iTunes accounts. So what is the point of localizing it when it "technically" doesn't reach that audience. There is no need of it within the JP community as far as I know so adding it will just confuse them.

Now how about localizing it and officially releasing it globally? My answer is because of Collaborations. XFLAG have to buy the rights to use assets from IPs in their game. It makes negotiating contracts very complicated since there will be multiple countries coming into play. Companies might not even want to collaborate with MS because they don't want their brand reaching out to parts of the world where they don't want or that it might have a negative impact. The companies can also ask for extra money and that can cost millions.

Those are the main reasons why the Global Version never got any collaborations. The higher ups in XFLAG deemed that they can't break-even for the cost of bring that collaboration over to Global. Or that the companies they are collaborating with don't want their brand in other countries.

Thank you for the insightful post, even if the the facts laid out are discouraging.

I've been downloading and trying potential replacements for Monster Strike and none even come close. It's extremely unlikely Monster Strike 3DS will be localized now. So the only option for NA players determined to continue playing is creating or continuing a MS JP account.

Guess I'll go install Google Translate on my work phone...
  • AmadanAmadan Posts: 545Member Master Striker
    Since a localized UI is unlikely, these may help.
  • FancypantsFancypants Posts: 337Member Elite Striker
    Amadan said:

Since a localized UI is unlikely, these may help.

Nice, I was putting something similar together myself in Photoshop for reference. The big ones that I still need a cheat sheet for are the daily quests down at the bottom, like payday, maxstoans, evo mats, expies, dragon gems. Would be great if those had a picture of the rewards like the other ones have a picture of the monster that the quest is for.
  • AmadanAmadan Posts: 545Member Master Striker
    I just added a third translation, a "quick ref" for the primary abilities to make it easier to see what units do. I'm gonna try to add Slayers to it next, but that'll take a bit.

I printed up a sheet with the Filters/Sort on one side, and the ability quick reference on the other, and that's been helping a lot.

Update is at the original Reddit post.